Insurance Tip: Most people get a standard homeowners policy which covers perils like ice, wind, fire, lightning, etc. Most of us know that we need a separate flood insurance policy if we live in a flood zone and that nuclear accidents and terrorism are generally not covered. However, there are five other not uncommon situations that are typically excluded from standard policies that you should be aware of: mold, sewage backups, sinkholes, pests (termites, rats, bed bugs, etc.) and earthquakes. Most companies will offer separate endorsements or riders for these perils so check with your agent to determine if that is a good idea for you.


Info found on